When you visit a store to choose a window treatment then you get overwhelmed with the options and salesman recommendations. Window treatment seems to be a mystery at times.
It makes you go in search of answers for blind versus shade or sheer shades versus cellular shades. If you have narrowed your options down to pleated or honeycomb shades, but are looking for information to make an informed decision then read the difference given below.
Vekkiverhot (Pleated blinds) and cellular blinds (also called honeycomb shades) have similar crisp pleated looks. Both are available in usual upgrades including bottom up, top down, continuous cord loop, cordless, and automatic (motorized).
Cordless option enables to lower or raise the blind by pulling the bottom rail. This aspect is good, if you have kids. The continuous cord loop blinds include a clutch mechanism, which keeps cord at same length, when blind is raised or lowered. It means the cord is not way higher (difficult to reach) or lies on the floor (Pet dog can gnaw it or kids can get entangled and fall down).
Top down and bottom up blinds allow you to lower and raise it partially or fully. Other options both styles include are extensive varieties of colours as well as fabrics with privacy or light filtering liners.
Cellular shades include honeycomb structure, which is noticeable from the sides. Cell shades offer good insulation with regards to energy and sound. It is available in single, double and triple honeycomb style.
- Better insulation in comparison
- Pleats available in different sizes.
- It can be lined for more darkening effect
- Shades compress compactly, when raised up for minimal view blockage
- Has no cords visible, thus creating neat and streamlined appearance
- Made from fabric, so available in unlimited colours
- Pleats preserve their shape much better overtime than the pleated blinds
- Hard to clean
- More expensive than pleated blinds
They look like honeycomb blinds from front. The level of insulation offered is less than cellular blinds because it includes a single layer fabric.
- Less expensive than honeycomb blind
- Small stack height, which allows the window to look open and uncovered, when raised
- Wide choice of colours
- Energy efficiency is less in comparison
- Less light control
- Does not insulate well
- Less privacy
- Hard to clean
Both are similar in many aspects, but understand the energy efficiency test.
For winter, it is resist heat loss value or R-Value. For summer, it is shading coefficient aspect.
Higher R-value defines better insulation in winter
R-value for –
- Single-layered uncovered glass windows – 1.75.
- Pleated shade – 2.20
- Cellular shades – 3.50 to 4.30 to 80
Low shading coefficient is more efficient for summer
- Pleated shade – 60
- Honeycomb blinds – 43 to 0.35 to 0.21
It means, if you choose honeycomb rather than pleated, your window heat gets reduced by more than 80% in summer.
In the end, it is your preference but remember to check Avaeksperdid – Kaihtimet ja Verhot. It is one of the popular brand for blinds and shades.
Arthur Cooper has written this guest post. Avaeksperdid shades, blinds, and shutter serve the Estonian people proudly. You can call them on the number 372 6611820, if you need privacy, control sunlight, have a difficult window, temperature control, or wish to have impressive window covering.